<VV> Off Season Projects

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Thu Oct 31 00:40:07 EDT 2013

Smitty Says:  My off season projects have continued right on through the
summer and I am still trying to catch up.  It began towards the end of last
winter when Spike started smoking.  I determined that it was the #1
cylinder.  Pulled the head off and pulled the cylinder.  Found the upper
ring groove crushed and binding the ring.  Runaway boost??  I would have
assumed that the Safeguard should have caught that.  Anyway, new piston, new
rings, and all is well.  Ready for VIR.
Meanwhile I am making mod # 14 (or is it 22) to the water injection system I
built.  I am getting crazy power and can hardly wait to get on the track.
Had a little lifter problem on #4 exhaust.  It didn't want to stay adjusted.
Had a real ball at VIR for maybe 10 laps.  Could not get my old brain
recalibrated to the tremendous speed and was over cooking corners all over
the place.  Caught one quick glance at the tach and was turning well over
6500.  Said to my self,  "Self" this isn't right.  Safeguard is supposed to
shut it down at 6200.  But who cares when it is running this way.  My Bud
Paul took the car out and broke a rod cap.  (Not a bolt), and the rod tried
to wrap around the crank..  It didn't even make a full revolution.
So I bring Spike home and pull the engine.  Looks like I can salvage the cam
and lifters and a few other odds and ends.  I put in a new block, crank, two
cylinders, 3 pistons, New rods and ARP rod bolts.  Fired it up and it sounds
beautiful for 20 seconds or so before the rocker arm starts tapping again
and then a horrible racket.  I pull the top off of the engine and check all
the rod bearings.  They are fine.  Out comes the engine again.  I pull the
flywheel and find that the bolted flywheel is banging on the bell housing
bolts.  What is pitiful about this is that I had a newbie over at the house
watching me put the engine together.  I was very carefully explaining to him
what happens when you use washers in the wrong place.  OK, I'll take credit
for that snafu.
I put it all together again and put the engine back in.  You must realize
that I am old, and I spend a lot of time hurting from bad lower back,
arthritic wrists and shoulders, not to mention severe sinus problems.   Some
days I could only tolerate a couple of hours of work.  Not looking for
sympathy.  Just letting you know why things go slowly.
So the engine is in and it is running great and the lifter is silent.
Better take it down to the State inspection station as it is about 9 months
out of date. When I get out on the street I find that it is reluctant to
take throttle.  It is gutless to an extreme.  Looks like I am going to have
to go through the tuneup procedures again.  I get the car inspected and head
home.  The lifter clattered for a minute and went away.  Car goes in the
garage and as I am checking things out I get that sick feeling.  I wonder if
I miss-indexed the cam?
Out comes the engine again.  The tranny and bellhousing come off and there
it is.  off by one tooth.  I have put together many many engines and each
time I have lived it mortal fear I would do that some day.  I am so anal I
don't see how I could have possibly done that.  Well, it is what it is so I
tear the engine down.  When I lift the crank out I don't believe what I am
seeing.  The two center mains are trashed.  Somehow, somewhere a load of
grit has come from the oil galleries and ruined them.  I order new mains and
go to work polishing the crank.  All day long I am remembering pulling the
plugs at the ends of the galleries in my newly acquired block, and running
long bottle brushes through the block and crank and flushing with oven
cleaner and gasoline and water and then doing it over again.  The end
casting was torn down and got the same treatment.  The oil pump was opened
up and cleaned.  I will never know where that stuff came from.
I put the engine back together again and meanwhile find why my Safeguard
failed me.  The hose that feeds boost info to the unit had thousands of tiny
cracks in it.  Pressure was bleeding off and feeding bum dope to the unit.
I don't feel like taking total ownership of that deal.  I know one thing, I
am getting sick of working on the engine.  We have a club meeting that night
and I decide to test run the car.  We hadn't gone far when the lifter
started clattering again.  Aww Man, when is enough enough.  I go ahead and
take the car to the meeting and as we are trucking along the lifter goes
quiet and then starts up again.  Off and on, but by the time we get home I
know what it is.  I break out my data from previous inspections of the
engine.  #4 cylinder had been 110 lbs right along until the next day when it
struggled to make 95.   Off comes the head.  Out come the springs.  All
valve seats look fine.  That is there is no evidence of any of them moving.
But the exhaust on #4 has a smokey trace on the seat about 3/8" long.  Ah Ha
you miserable ^$#^@.  You did move didn't you?
I acquired a good usable head that needs guides.  I am tired of this game.
I am going to support the economy, and give the head to a machine shop with
orders to not heat the head over 350 degrees.  That is where we are right
now.  Waiting for somebody to do something I have done 20 times in my past.
But I am tired.