<VV> Mid Ohio Rocket Man

Warren LeVeque levair at aol.com
Mon Sep 2 12:12:16 EDT 2013

                                           Rocket Man

    A few recollections from the Aug 31/ Sept. 1 Mid Ohio Raceway SCCA regional race.
       At the early registration, we were met by our friends, Marilyn Russell, and the Galmayers from SCCA Fort Wayne. Later we met Phil Keirn (Ft. Wayne) and Sue (Young) from Indy. Phil was the Chief Machanic for a team of Spec Racers Fords. We also had an incredible amount of Corvair admirers, and persons who had run with and worked events with the same car in the 70s. It was easy to spot this huge white car with the wide blue stripes.
     Unlike any races that I had run in the 70s there was an opportunity for 4 or 5 races this weekend---so my son Michael could get lots of experience, thrills and licensing. Michael was running the reincarnation of my Corvair Yenko Stinger YS160. About the only difference form the old days was air flow manifolding refinements, disc brakes and safety requirements. He even still runs the cantilever sidewall racing slicks.
      Our crew was Tracy LeVeque, Kevin Willson, Paul Fox and myself.
    The first event was the practice and qualifying which put Michael right up front. The first race was a dual event with about  19 SRFs lined up about a 1/3 of a track length ahead of about 16 production cars: E/P through H/P so that in theory the race fields could be witnessed separately.  Michael was in the lead of the 2nd groups and had almost caught the SRFs when one of his rear  “new” Goodyear cantilever racing slicks came apart. The tread area separated form the carcass and swelled up like a huge ripe cantelope. This kept Paul and I very busy in the pits changing from a 1” taper nut REAL 8# wheel to a unilug washered 13/16” nuts slot mag 20# wheel. He got back out in time for the last lap and the Checkered Flag. But it counted as a finish!
     Therefore; Michael started next to last in the next race and had an exciting win with many multiple car passes commented on many times by the announcer.   The last Saturday race was the handicap where all sorts of cars competed; starting with  theoretical intervals where every one could finish together---great entertainment only.
    Sunday races were on the “short” track where the chicane was not used before the key hole turn, Michael’s times dropped form 1:45 to 1:43.    The first Sunday race was started with an at least a 1/3 lap gap between the two groups.  Michael had a great lead on his group but the SFRs seemed nearly out of sight, But his race requirements  for the season were now over.
       During the time during before the last race, the Chief of one of the SRF teams commented that Michael’s Stinger had no chance of racing with the SRFs----Hmmm.
      In the previous races Michael had shifted between 6000 rpm and 6500 rpm for reliability reasons; his rev limiter was set at 7000 rpm---sooo.    The track officials also encouraged Michael to narrow the gap between the two groups at the start-- sooo. The announcer couldn’t help but comment on the race of the Stinger through the SFRs. Before the short race was over Michael had passed 14 SFRs and was 4th overall!!!.    This is Monday so maybe Michael had calmed down by now.
    Another victory was that the same Corvair fan belt, with the full size ½ speed fan, has retained and lasted  without overheating through the Corvair Convention Gingerman event and autocross and through 5 races this past weekend—a special Corvair victory.
Proud Papa,

Warren