<VV> Floor Protection

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Wed Sep 4 17:06:33 EDT 2013

Since my new garage floor looks so purty.....I would rather that some of my
"treasures" not foul it up with their droppings. (NOT my Corvairs).    The
'62 Pontiac is the worst offender. (it rejects ALL fluids put into it)
Joe Dunlap

Smitty Says,;  Joe many years ago I read a tech tip in some newsletter, how
to make a drip catcher.  Take an old pair of dungarees and cut the cuffs off
and cut straight across as high on the legs as you can.  Then split out the
inseams and join the two pieces of cloth together to make one large tube of
cloth.  Sew across the bottom and make it like a pillow case.  Get a large
bag of kitty litter and dump it into the "pillow case".  Sew up the open
end.  Next time somebody runs a Falcon or mustang into your garage, kick
that under the car where you think drips are likely.  Also after the Ford
leaves, toss the bag onto any spots it left behind.  My litter bag has been
in service for at least 25 years and I can still throw it onto a drip spot
on the floor and it will suck up the oil powder dry in a couple of days.
The outer surface of my bag is soiled of course but it is not oily or greasy
on the outside.  I'm not saying it would be good to suck up a 3 ft diameter
spill every time your PG pukes but it will do wonders and keep on doing it
for years to come.
Second best and for real leaks you might invest in a sheet or half sheet of
galvanized iron.  (like furnace ducting).   The stuff is not very expensive.
You don't have to be a tinsmith to bend up an inch all the way around
whatever size you cut.  Bend it using a 2x4 for a brake.  When you bend the
sides up vertical it will leave a 45 degree tab sticking out at the corners.
Bend those around to one side and flatten them and you will have leak proof
corners.  Because I have shag carpet in my show car garage I made pans 2 ft
wide and 6 ft long to use when I park the cars long term.  Lets don't BS one
another.  If you really care about the carpet you won't park a Corvair or
any other car long term without a drip pan.