<VV> gast tyanks

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Wed Sep 11 11:43:27 EDT 2013

On 9/11/2013 8:25 AM, Bruce Alexander wrote:
> I just purchased two Spyders.  63 & 64. They have been sitting ( inside) for about 35 years. I want to empty and rinse out the gas tanks. Does anyone have an easy way to do this , short of taking the tanks out.  Or is there an additive that I can use to make the old gas safe? Also I would appreciate any advice on what to do before starting the first time.
To save on plurals, I will assume one car/tank.
Doing it "right" would probably involve pulling the tank and cleaning it
out.
Second best would be:
1 - make sure the tank is empty by pulling the fuel line at the sender
with something handy to drain the old crud into.
2 - remove the sender/fuel pickup assy - inspect/clean/replace filter
sock as needed
3 - blow out or flush out the crud in the tank. With the sender out,
maybe could squirt solvent around inside to wash crud out?

All the above guided by what you find at each step. The lock ring for
the sender may self destruct, or it may be ok. If you pull or cut the
the hose at the tank and old gas comes flowing out, you might just let
it drain, then consider 1-2 gals of fresh fuel + fuel additive, let sit
for a day, then drain again. But that is being awfully optimistic.
35 years probably means that any old gas has solidifiied, and there
could condensation/rust/leaks.

good luck - let us know how it goes!