<VV> stolen '61

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Fri Sep 13 12:22:21 EDT 2013

One of the best setups to defeat joy riders was on a car I bought (not a Corvair).  The ignition side of the start circuit was wired through the set switch of the cruise control, so you had to push that while turning the key.  Simple, and it did indeed stop a thief once.

On a Corvair, rather than using an on/off kill switch, I'd wire it the same way but with a hidden momentary contact, so you have to press a button somewhere when starting.  Otherwise it just cranks but won't fire.  This method means you can't forget and leave it in the "run" position, you have to hit the switch every time you want to start.

--Bryan