<VV> [fastvair] Re: stolen '61

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Sat Sep 14 02:48:34 EDT 2013

On 9/13/2013 11:55 AM, Jerry Bullis wrote:
> Jay,
>
> Maximum PVC temperature rating is 140 degrees.  The rating most likely
> has some safety margin, but I'm not sure that is what you want to be
> using for a car coolant system.
>
> Jerry

Some time back, I looked up physical properties of PVC.
Strength starts going down around 140-160,  IIRC.
It pretty much goes away at 250-275. (just now I tried to confirm those
numbers, and can't find a strength vs temp curve for PVC - oh well.)
At 14 psi, it can go over 230 at sea level.
Yes, that is cutting it a bit close. But it has worked well for several
years in my car, with certain limitations.

1. you can't clamp a hose directly onto PVC, it will relax away from the
clamp and the hose needs tightening every week or two.
2. It looks like the pipe will grow a bit over several years use. It
still works, but if you need to repair it, fittings don't fit anymore!

So I guess I can't really recommend it, unless you're a cheap *** like
me, or just want to prototype a system prior to doing it with copper.

In a previous message, I mentioned the answer to (1) above - use
slip-to-thread adapters, and thread in a galv stub to clamp the hose onto.

Regards
Jay

--
Jay Maechtlen SoCal '61 2-dr modified w/fiberglass skin, transverse 3.8
Buick V6 TH440T4 trans