<VV> sick 64 again

Harry Yarnell (Verizon) harryyarnell at verizon.net
Tue Sep 17 14:07:28 EDT 2013

This is correct.

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Ramon Rodriguez III
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 12:32 PM
To: Danny Davis; virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> sick 64 again

My understanding (this caused me much confusion before I was told) is that
the points MUST be closed (or a test lead used to ground the negative side
of the coil) in order to get the reduced voltage reading showing the factory
resistor is intact.  Without doing this you will read the full 12 volts.

I have been told this by multiple people in the Corvair community, but still
don't take my word for it 100%, I'm just passing on what I was told.
 I'll actually be trying this test in the next couple of hours.  If it
doesn't work I'll let you know, if you don't hear from me assume that this
information is correct.  Others may likely chime in here to either verify
what I'm saying, or to say it ain't so!

Ray Rodriguez III
Certifiable Vair Nut
Lake Ariel, PA

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Danny Davis
<dannydavis at clearwire.net>wrote:

> The ignition coil + terminal should have around 6 volts when the key
> is in the on position and will have full 12 volts when cranking over.
> I like to test the points and the voltage together quickly with a test
> light.  clip the ground side to the - terminal and then touch the
> probe to the + terminal while someone is cranking the car.  You should
> get a flashing light  showing that the points are grounding and that
> voltage is present on the + side of the coil when cranking - with fuel
> in the carbs and a pump or two it should start if th timing is set
correctly.

> If it starts and then quits when the key is released - you've likely
> got an "open" in the resistor wire.
>
> Let us know what you find.
>
> Dan
>

> On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 1:20 PM, <jsearles2010 at windstream.net> wrote:
>
> > I  am not getting fire to thepositive side of my coil to make the
> > car run all it is doing is turning over. I understand that there
> > mite be an
> inline
> > resistor, but where, and also could the running side of my ignition
> switch
> > be bad........... HELP THIS OLD MAN..... THANX JIM
> > Change your options:
> > http://www.vv.corvair.org/mailman/options/virtualvairs
> >

> --
> Danny Davis