<VV> Reliability, etc. of a turbo; was: Corvair Classic

corvairs at pacifier.com corvairs at pacifier.com
Sun Sep 29 22:44:33 EDT 2013

    Just got back to work this evening -

    Linda used a 1965 Corsa 180 coupe for her personal driver for about 10
years. If you don't put regular gas in it and detonate the hell out of
it it's just as reliable as any other Corvair.
    We had issues with that 1940's era carb but they all had to do with
the choke malfunctioning which was fixable like anything else.
    We did have an odd problem with it when Steve Brown and Gary Baldwin
and I drove it down to Indio CA for a "Palm Springs" event that was
vexing although the car got us home the 1200 or so miles.
    The car would start sputtering and blow fire out the talipipe.
Obviously a fuel problem. When I got home I replaced the rubber
connector on the incoming gas line and the problem never manifested
itself again.

    For what reason would a turbo Corvair be any less reliable than any
other car?

Lon Wall
www.corvairunderground.com