<VV> steering box slop

J. R. Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 10 14:52:30 EDT 2014

Ray,

The adjuster screw (and locking nut) are under a round plastic plug in the
trunk floor.  If you pull the plug and see that the screw is level with or
even below the top edge of the nut, it is time to have the box rebuilt (or
find someone that has a rebuilt on the shelf).

If there is "some" adjustment still available, go slowly - maybe a 1/4 turn
or so - and then take it for a ride.  It is possible to damage the internals
of the box if you overtighten.  So, just go in small increments until you
are happy.  When taking it for a ride pay attention to whether or not the
steering wheel returns to center more or less on it's own after a turn.  If
it is not returning, you have overtightened the adjuster.

Later, JR