<VV> Failure of Chinese made "New" rocker arms

vairjer at comcast.net vairjer at comcast.net
Sun Aug 10 16:21:54 EDT 2014

>From the comments by Wynne snip>> "I have seen the inside of more than
500 Corvair core engines, and I am pretty sure I have never seen a broken
GM rocker arm. If your local 'expert' tells you he has seen dozens of broken
rockers of this design, nod politely, but understand he is dishonest and a
liar."<<

I believe that he has examined a number of engines and from his perspective he is very much correct in being concerned about the manufacturing approach often taken in China: "good enough" is a common approach. For aircraft use, being cautious is more than important.

However, the only failure I have had of a rocker arm was in 1992 on our 1964 110 HP powerglide engine (84,000 miles) in the convertible, and it was an original GM manufactured part and it failed just outside Greenville, SC on our way to the Atlanta convention. It broke/cracked in the area he mentioned and took out the pushrod with it...We managed to find the only Corvair mechanic in Greer, SC who took a good "road tested" rocker and pushrod and changed it out for us in less than 45 minutes from the time we stopped at his shop. I always traveled after that with a rocker and pushrod, but never had a similar failure...other issues, but not that one again.

Jerry McKenzie
PCCA member
Springfield, IL