<VV> Dormant car

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Sat Aug 16 18:42:00 EDT 2014

Subject: Re: <VV> Dormant car
First - I never worked on a '60.  But, IIRC the choke is in the air cleaner.
Is the air cleaner on and choke operating when you are starting the car?
Later, JR
Yes the chokes are in the intake plumbing on a 60.  First of all I have
started many many Corvairs over the years without chokes.  Refuse to believe
that a 60 would be any different.  Make em a little rich with the accel
pumps and then crank them up.  Second, I had a pair of top condition 64
carbs with chokes on there and it made no difference.  Chokes set to closed
and vacuum pull offs to crack them open.
Keven  Not to make too big a thing out of this, but an all blue spark has no
amperage behind it to drive it through a highly compressed combustion
chamber mixture.  When you start getting some yellow in it and start hearing
it crack across the room you are getting a good spark.  Disconnect your
condenser and start your car (if it will) and look at that spindly blue
spark.