<VV> Japanese Corvair - eyewitness

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Aug 18 18:48:11 EDT 2014

I checked out Dave Newells book covering foreign sales - and production -
for the Corvair. He says nothing about sales in Japan. He does indicate that
GIs  might have brought cars over. Indeed, in 1969, I was traveling on a
bus from  Yokoda Air base to Atsugi Naval air station in Japan. (Actually I
was traveling  from one Air Force BX to a Navy BX.) Looking out the rear of
the bus I saw  a 64 4-door in traffic about 6 cars behind. I was already a
Corvair owner so I  knew the year clues. It had a Japanese license plate on the
front, I  believe. Since all Corvairs were originally left-hand drive, and
Japan  was - and is - a right-hand drive country, driving a huge (for Japan)
wrong-side  drive car in any of the cities would have been a true nightmare.

- Seth Emerson

In a message dated 8/18/2014 3:15:47 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,