<VV> Japanese Corvairs

Carl Kelsen Arlette Pat arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 19 21:52:13 EDT 2014

Hi everyone,
I like many of you, hold Dave Newell in very high regard with respect to his incredible knowledge with respect to Corvair history and I particularly enjoyed his comments with respect to the few Corvairs that 'apparently' were exported to Japan during the 1960s.
That said can, I add the following as Australian.

"Holden sold in Japan by Taiyo Automobile Company Ltd"
I stand to be corrected, but I don't believe Australia's GM-Holden ever export vehicles officially to Japan. There may have been a few individual private exports however. Certainly GM-Holden vehicles during the 1960s were exported in RHD and LHD form to a number of countries including the United States but I don't think Japan was one of them. I may be wrong and am happy to be corrected.
In 1960 GM-Holden Australia exported a small number of Left hand drive 1960 'FB' Holden Special sedans to Hawaii. I expect they would have not been a commercial success, and that none would have survived today after 50 plus years of exposure to salt air.
Metric prior to 1970?
Japan as far as I am aware, like Australia in the 1960s had not yet changed to the absolutely superior Metric measurement system. Australia changed to Metric measurement which has since become the internationally accepted standard measurement system in the early 1970s and I think Japan did about the same time. Accordingly I would not expect to see a Metric speedo in any Japanese car built before at least 1970.
Regards to everyoneCarl KelsenMelbourne, Victoria, AustraliaRHD 1965 Monza Convertible (with an export metric speedo)