<VV> Holden sales in Japan; Dave Newell responds

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Aug 21 00:26:08 EDT 2014

Japan went Metric in 1924 - All home market cars had Metric speedos. My
point was not that there were no imports into Japan. My point was that GM
didn't  import cars. Japanese companies did. I guess those companies (like
Taiyo) made a business of bringing in cars from around the world. It  appears
that the "Japanese tag" car was one of those. My second guess is that a
serviceman buying a car for delivery would get an American car shipped over (but
that is just a guess.) in the possibility that the car might be shipped
home. In may depend on the deal that GM had with Taiyo!

I saw three Corvairs in Belgium in 1976. At least two of the three had
Metric Speedos. I sent home a 67 Corvair Monza Metric Speedo - It read  from
0-200KPH, and I looked at an early 4-door, parked behind a Bus company  repair
facility, the speedo read 0 to 160 KPH. The third Corvair was  an early
4-door that was turning onto the Belgian Freeway as I was turning off.  There
was no way to catch it. (Speedometer unknown). I visited the factory in
Antwerp where the Corvair CKD kits were assembled. In 1976, they were building
various Chevette equivalents for Opel and Vauxhall. Nobody knew anything
about the Corvairs that were built there. I sent the VIN plate for the 67 to
Dave Newell. He has it in his collection.

One other strange note. In october, 1969, I saw a US Navy painted  (dark
blue, small white letters on the front door) late-model 4-door  Corvair parked
in front of the USO facility in Saigon, Vietnam. (Yeah  - I've been
around.)

- Seth Emerson

In a message dated 8/20/2014 4:22:30 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
virtualvairs at corvair.org writes:

>From  Dave Newell:

<will send pix of Japanese Holden ads &
literature 61-64 tonight. Holden had begun exports in the Pacific rim area
in
the late 1950s (give me time and I can probably find the dates &  locati
ons). I
believe by '64 they had even shipped some cars to India. The  plate on this
'64
definitely states Taiyo as being Chevrolet & Holden  distributors.

That's great...thanks to Carl for the metric answer. I  hadn't researched
it and
was wondering if cars sold there had metric  speedos that early. But most
of the
specs in Japanese Chevy brochures were  always in metric...the '64 Vair was
listed at 2688  cc.

Dave>
the  property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org