<VV> Fwd: Holden sales in Japan; Dave Newell responds

David Newell chevrobilia at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 00:21:43 EDT 2014

Hi Seth,
Thanks for the Japanese metric date and your memories of Corvairs overseas. Yep, you sure have been around :o) I wish you'd gotten a photo of that late model Navy sedan!

You're absolutely right about GM not having facilities in Japan during the Corvair days. Taiyo, Yanase & Seibu were distributors who had deals with GM's Foreign Distributors Division (FDD). FDD handled exports to all countries in which GM didn't have their own assembly plant or a GM owned distributor. Yanase was also the authorized distributor in Japan for VW and Mercedes in the '60s.

FDD also operated a program through which US servicemen could purchase cars, have them delivered anywhere in the world and shipped home. Those cars were US spec. The local GM distributors and plants usually got a kickback and sometimes ran ads on their own soliciting sales to US personnel, like GM Continental did when Germany was added to their territory in 1963. But according to the owner of the Corvair with the Taiyo ID plate, that car was purchased used in Japan by a serviceman who had it shipped home by Uncle Sam.

FDD was a division of GMOO (GM Overseas Operations: say Guh-MOO). GMOO administered all the GM operated assembly plants and GM-owned distributors directly. Before WWII there was a GM Japan and in 2002 a new GM Japan completely took over import and distribution from Yanase, which had long before become the sole GM distributor in Japan.

Export options were available to all GM plants and distributors, whether GM owned or not, as RPOs (Regular Production Options). Those options included the metric speedos, low compression engines, headlight options to meet local requirements, export suspension etc.)

Oh, and thanks again for that GM Continental ID plate...I still have it on display!

Dave