<VV> Dollie Ann Cole

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Thu Aug 28 06:16:03 EDT 2014

Nanci, Dollies Secretary  was asked by Dollies  family to send out notes to
close friends. I received this yesterday afternoon, 8/26. Dollie was vary
kind to Linda and me. We enjoyed her calls, visits, and help during a
stressful time, and since then. I removed the personal portions. I knew of
many of the things she was involved with but not all of the items listed.
She gave so much of her time to others. We had made arrangements to visit
her, and Nanci  as we  traveled the South this winter in our GMC motor home.
Linda and I will miss her.

Bob and Linda Dunahugh

  _____

Dollie Ann Cole, age 84, passed away on August 24, 2014. Mrs. Cole, widow of
the late Edward N. Cole, former President of General Motors Corporation, was
a respected businesswoman, serving in leadership roles on numerous national
and local boards including on the board of  PBS, Project HOPE (World Health
Organization), The Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum, the National
Corvette Museum, HPSC, a national leasing and finance company based in
Boston, National Captioning Institute for the Hearing Impaired, National
Academy of Sciences Presidents' Circle, and the 100 Club of Central Texas, a
charitable organization established to support the families of officers
killed while serving the public. Mrs. Cole was also a member of the Corvair
Society and was a Distinguished Woman of Northwood University. Mrs. Cole's
interests included historic preservation, attending auctions and she was a
great supporter of projects in and for Texas, including the Settlement Home
for Children. Mrs. Cole also worked as a Senior Editor for Curtis
Publishing. Outspoken, bright and attractive, Mrs. Cole set a high profile
standard for the auto executive wife when she arrived in Detroit in the
early 1960's. Mrs. Cole commanded the same desk from her Ranch in Lockhart,
Texas that her late husband occupied on the legendary 14th floor of the
General Motors Building, buying it as a surprise for her husband when he
retired. Known as a "force of nature" Mrs. Cole worked tirelessly for
charities protecting children and animals. Mrs. Cole is survived by her four
children, William Jefferson McVey, III, Anne Cole Pierce, Esq., Robert
Michael Joseph Cole and Edward N. Cole, Jr. and by seven grandchildren,
Alexandra C. Pierce, 2Lt. Matthew C. Pierce (currently serving in the United
States Army), Dr. Christina A. Cole, Adam H. Cole, Rita B. Cole, Edward N.
Cole, III, and Gunnar M. Cole. The family will receive friends in Texas from
3:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M. on Thursday and Friday, August 28, 2014 and August
29, 2014 at the McCurdy Funeral Home, 105 E. Pecan Street, Lockhart, Texas
78644. Funeral services celebrating the life of Mrs. Cole will be held in
Texas on Saturday, August 30, 2014 at 11:00 A.M. at the TDS Pavilion located
in the TDS Exotic Game Preserve, 11508 Carl Road., Buda, Texas 78610. A
second celebration of the life of Mrs. Cole will be held in Michigan. The
family will receive friends in Michigan on Friday, September 5, 2014 from
3:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M. at the A. J. Desmond & Sons Funeral Home, 2600 Crooks
Road, Troy, Michigan 48084. A funeral service will be held at the Kirk in
the Hills Church,1340 W. Long Lake Rd., Bloomfield Hills, Michigan 48302 on
Saturday, September 6, 2014, at 11:00 A.M. with internment to follow at
White Chapel Cemetery, 621 W. Long Lake Road, Troy, Michigan, 48098. In lieu
of flowers, memorials may be sent to the Michigan Animal Adoption Network,
P.O Box 566, Roseville, Michigan 48066, the Air Warrior Courage Foundation,
P.O. Box 877, Silver Spring, Maryland, 20918 or the National Corvette
Museum, 350 Corvette Drive, Bowling Green, Kentucky 42101. Mrs. Cole will be
greatly missed by her many friends and her family.