<VV> Thermister Swap?

RAMBLERPAT at aol.com RAMBLERPAT at aol.com
Fri Aug 29 22:06:01 EDT 2014

To all, I have discovered that the connecting shaft or tip  on my
thermister spins freely. I cannot tighten the small nut on the  wire. In addition, I
have no reading at all on the gauge and I am  unable to gain any resistance
when I do an Ohm test on the unit. I am thinking  that whatever wiring the
tip is connected to beneath the porcelain has  broken resulting in a failed
thermister.

Now, I have located used original AC ones (tested) for around  $80, and
there is a NOS thermister on eBay now for $400. Interestingly, as  I researched
even further I have found info on a Rochester 3080-38  TEMPERATURE PROBE
referenced from a FlyCorvair.com article on head temps.  In the aircraft
catalog mentioned in the article their  Rochester thermister/temp probe has a
temp rating from 250F - 550F  degrees, and it has 3/8 24 thread size, the same
as the one I recovered from my  Spyder. Also, it appears DC because it is
used in light aircraft  perhaps Corvair powered too. Cost of the new Rochester
temperature  probe is $80.

Question: Will this thermister work in my Spyder, is it compatible  with
the factory gauge and CHT opening on the head?

(I do not have the measurements of the Rochester temp probe but it looks
very close to our AC unit from the picture in the catalog)

Patrick
64 Spyder Coupe
Metro Detroit, MI