<VV> The great puzzle

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Mon Dec 1 14:29:35 EST 2014

Please tell me whether I have your story right.

You rebuilt the engine using new pistons and rings and had the heads done
by a machine shop. prior to that you had no oil burning problems. Right?

Then it burned no oil at all, except at an idle speed where the drivers
side was the culprit. Drive it on the highway for 50 miles and it uses no oil
and does not smoke. Right?
Let it idle and you got smoke. Rev it and drive it and you got no smoke.
Right. The engine has normal blowby that is now expelled into the atmosphere.
 Right?

Drive it and no smoke. Shut the engine off and then pull the heads and no
oil in the cylinders. Pull the carb and no oil under it.  But let it idle
for a while, shut it off and pull the head and you do find oil in the
cylinders.  Pull the carb and you find oil under it too. Right?

Then you disassembled the engine, checked the parts for proper fit and
reassembled it. Same problem. Right?

Is the blowby picking up oil and it being returned to the head?

 How is oil getting under the carb? To me that is the key. It would  seem
that any oil from the rings or guides would never get back up the carb  but
would be retained in the cylinder.

Please verify or refute.
Bob Helt

In a message dated 12/1/2014 10:16:08 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,