<VV> '64 Axle Stub

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Dec 20 21:25:55 EST 2014

Yes, bad wheel bearings are serious. If you can only move the axle by
wiggling the u-joint end, but not by wiggling it at the wheel bearing,
then the wheel bearing is not the problem. The wheel bearing does rotate
among its own center, hard to describe in words, a picture would be
better, but the axle should not move relative to the bearing either
axially or radially. The axle should make an arc with the bearing as the
center point of the arc. It is not a standard pillow block bearing design.

It seems the problem is in the differential, since that is where the
axle moves the most.

I have seen many earlies move their axles in this manner, and we just
kept driving them. But you should check the outer differential bearing
and axle stub/yoke. Pull the axle and look for wear on the axle stub and
feel the bearing to see if it is worn.

Do investigate the noise, as the wheel bearing or differential bearing
could be the culprit of noise.

At the least you need an axle seal on the differential to stop the oil
leak (you are certain it is a gear oil leak?). Do both sides while you
are in there.

The absolute best way to check early axle bearing is to buy the tool
from Blue Chip machine to remove them from the axle. They come off no
problem, not damaged like with a standard press and clamshell bearing
remover. Open, clean, inspect, and grease/reinstall if it passes
inspection. Yes, the tool is pricy, but all good tools are pricy. Just
ask a Snap-On user! I suggest clubs pool their money to buy one for
every early owner in their club to use. If you save two bearings, you
have paid for the tool. If you never inspect and clean your early
bearings, they will fail at some point. Usually at an inconvenient time.

Frank DuVal