<VV> MISSING / WRONG KEYS

Charlie chaz at properproper.com
Sun Dec 28 16:10:09 EST 2014

Just curious but, in your experience, how much is "not that expensive" to
compare with whatever quote I get?

I bought a '65 convert and never put the top up for the first 3 months,
until "California freezes over" or until I get caught in the rain and so
never considered locking the doors.

A week before Christmas it did rain, so I put the top up, and I figured I
might as well lock the doors too.

When I got back to my car, I discovered that the ignition key, nor the truck
key, would unlock the doors!
(It had never occurred to me to test the key in the door before I locked
them all!)

I then also discovered just how tight the windows were, and also discovered
that the dipstick was now too brittle to bend, to use it to pop the lock
buttons through that tight space between the door and quarter windows!

The dipstick snapped off at the "full" line, and rendered it useless as
either opening the door or as a dipstick any longer!

I then discovered how hard it is to find a wire coat hanger, which took
longer to find than to actually open the car when I finally did find one!

So, short story made way too long, I'm now looking to find a matching set of
keys and locks to replace them all, or if cheaper, get a locksmith to re-key
the doors, to match the ignition?

Thanks for listening ...

Charlie