<VV> IRS

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Wed Dec 31 14:50:45 EST 2014

I guess any vehicle that has a rear anti-sway bar is also not IRS?  I think this is a classic case of taking something too literal and not viewing the word "independent" in context.  If you want to get that literal then no suspension system on any vehicle is independent because it always has some effect on the other wheel(s) no matter what you do.  If you want to use the word in context like it is intended then IRS means that the car doesn't have a "solid" rear axle.  All stock Corvairs have IRS.  Even if they have a transverse leaf and a posi.
BTW- the transverse leaf was not intended as a springing device.  That was just a consequence of the design.  It was actually a sway bar instead of an anti-sway bar similar to the old Z-bars in intent.
Let the flames begin on "solid".

Joel McGregor

In a message dated 12/31/2014 9:26:32 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,