<VV> Carb cleaners

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Feb 12 12:25:21 EST 2014

I'm glad you mentioned that. I was going to correct Seth, but...  ggg

The water does cover the surface as the cleaner is a two phse system. The
bottom layer is an organic solvent to clean the parts and the upper layer
is  a water based corosion-inhibitor, which also keeps the organic layer
from evaporating. You do need to keep adding water to keep this layer at
about 1" if you use the cleaner alot.

Yes, the steel buckets do rust through and make a mess. Keep an eye on
them! The rust I have seen is usually at the boundary (?) layer between the
solvent and the water. This is also the layer you DO NOT want to have a
part in while soaking. The part will have an etch line that is about
impossible to remove.

After cleaning with this solvent, you need a good water rinse and air
pressure blow out. Then soda blasting really makes them clean!

Frank DuVal

Original email: