<VV> Loose steering.

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Feb 24 01:07:46 EST 2014

Step one is to check the pitman bushing. This is the bushing between the
pittman arm on the steering box and the center link (drag link). If you
get the nylon bushing that is supposed to fit into the steel shell that
stays behind when you remove the rubber bushing, it is an easy job. If
you get a nylon that fits the center link without the shell, or buy a
rubber/steel original type, get set for chiseling out the old steel
shell. Sometimes it is easier to remove the center link and use a vise
to hold it to drive out the steel shell.

The nut in the trunk just holds the adjusting screw secure. You loosen
the nut , adjust the screw (see shop manual) then snug the nut to hold
the adjustment. If the screw goes level or disappears into the nut, it
is time to rebuild the steering box.

When diagnosing loose steering, it helps to have someone turn the
steering wheel while you look at all the joints  and see if there is
excessive movement. Any of the joints can cause loose steering (tie rod
ends, ball joints, pittman bushing, idler arm).

Frank DuVal