<VV> What to do in Newport Beach, California? (any Corvair?)

corsaconvertible corsaconvertible at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 18:27:52 EST 2014

Calty (California Toyota) Design is my old place of employment. It's the US
design branch for Toyota/Lexus. It's hidden by hills in Newport Beach, but
you can drive to the parking lot and see the facility. No tours, everything
is top secret. On one wall was a photo history of automotive design that
included a photo of an EM Corvair. The first two Calty designs built were
the Previa mid-engine minivan and the original Lexus SC (sport coupe). The
Venza is a more recent production design from Calty.

I was a member of the San Diego Corvair Club. If they have their monthly
meeting during your visit, you can attend as a guest. I'm sure you'll find
it interesting. Also check Inland Empire Corvair Club , South Coast CORSA,
and Vintage CORSA in Orange for meetings or other Corvair events.

There's a great bicycle path that follows the shoreline and PCH (Pacific
Coast Highway).

Besides the fact I met my wife attending classes in San Juan Capistrano,
there are couple old school taverns. The Swallows Inn was featured
in "Heartbreak Ridge" starring Clint Eastwood. It has a mix of cowboy, rock
n' roll, business, and biker types. The Amtrak Station has a nice little
restaurant in a railroad car; and the a little Irish pub (it may have
closed) is connected to the Amtrak parking lot.

The Ortega Highway heading east into the "mountains" from San Juan
Capistrano is a great driver's road. Weekends find it full of motorcycles
and sport cars of all types. It is also dangerous, as drivers often exceed
their limits, or the vehicles limits. At the top you can often see people
hang gliding down the east side of the mountain toward Lake Elsinore.

Laguna Beach is a wonderful artist community with an abundance of small
private shops. You can usually find some great pickup basketball to watch
on the beach courts. Also some good beach volleyball. Up and down the
Orange County coast there is a lot of beach volleyball. Check around, a
televised tournament is not uncommon.

Dana Point has a beautify harbor and wide flat beach near the harbor.

I always lived in San Clemente during my 12 years in California. It is the
most southern town in Orange County, and formerly the west coast home of
President Richard Nixon. It has more of a small town feel with Camp
Pendleton to the south and the mountains preventing too much growth to the
east. It has a nice little traditional downtown that leads to the library
and on to the rustic pier. My favorite at the pier restaurant on the is
mahi-mahi. Mr. Pete's fast food is on PCH just south of downtown, and
hopefully still has the best fried zucchini I've ever had! Surfing
throughout Orange County is popular. In San Clemente, by the pier and San
Onofre are two popular areas.

I could go on and on, wonderful memories.