<VV> Starting without a Starter Re: FW: Corvair

frankcb at aol.com frankcb at aol.com
Fri Feb 28 10:28:59 EST 2014

    "The starter is out of it - other than that she runs great" might elicit the response "if it has no starter, how can it run at all?"  Well, Corvairs with PG can be pushed started if you can get them up to 20+ mph.  One place I worked I used to park at the highest point of the parking lot and when I left work late the parking lot was mostly deserted so I would just turn on the ignition switch and let the car simply roll to gain speed so I could put the PG into Drive and most of the time the Corvair would start.  On a later occasion I had trouble with the starter so I simply had my wife push me (using her car) and got the Corvair started that way.  Incidentally, the Torqueflite automatic trans in my 1958 Plymouth also allowed for push starts as I found out on a LONG drive from California back to New York.  But later, more "modern" transmissions probably won't allow "push starting".
    Thanks for bringing back memories.
Frank Burkhard
Boonton, NJ