<VV> Air? Chassis rot?

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Thu Jan 2 03:53:10 EST 2014

Seems to me, all the force on the steering box is from the effort
applied to the steering wheel.
Unless the OP has the arms of a blacksmith, the frame where the steering
box mounts should be able to hold it steady.

The steering arms don't matter, neither does the tire size or pressure.
You should be able to crank on the steering wheel with the tires locked
stationary, and the steering box shouldn't move.

FWIW, a slow steering box gives the driver more mechanical advantage, so
for the same steering wheel effort should put more force on the frame.
A quick box is harder on the driver, but easier on the frame.

Gotta check the frame and the mounting bolts. Something there is bad.

cheers
Jay