<VV> Acrid Burning Smell (Electrical?) on Startup

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Tue Jan 7 12:54:35 EST 2014

Bill,

Before spending a bunch of time and effort under the dash,  consider that
the smell might be coming from under the "Turkey Roaster" or  elsewhere in
the engine compartment.  What you might have is burnt oil  smell coming
through your heater system.  Burnt oil smell could be mistaken  for burnt wire
insulation.  It is winter and you probably leave your heater  in the On
position when you park the car.  The burnt oil smell could  accumulate in the
Turkey Roaster while parked and come out into the passenger  compartment in a
puff when started until fresh air replaces the tainted air  in the engine.  Try
turning your heater to the Off position when you park  it or before you
start it and see what happens.  Another check could be to  start your car under
the same conditions that generate the smell.  (Heater  On.)  After the
smell dissipates, turn the car off and then restart  it.  If the starting
sequence causes the burnt smell from wires the first  time, it should cause the
burnt smell from wires the second time.

The possibility of an electrical fire in your wiring harness  is a BIG
concern but if it is a puff of oil smell from the Turkey Roaster, you  might
decide to live with it rather than rip your engine apart to seal  things.  If
my suspicion is correct, try leaving the heater off when you  start the car
until the bad air is purged from the Turkey Roaster.

Good luck,

Doc

1960 Corvette, 1961 Rampside, 1962 Rampside, 1964 Spyder  coupe, 1965
Greenbrier, 1966 Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, 1967 Nova SS, 1968  Camaro ragtop

In a message dated 1/6/2014 1:55:40 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

Message:  3