<VV> Acrid Burning Smell (Electrical?) on Startup - OOPS!

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 8 11:08:36 EST 2014

                                                                                                                                                     B"H

OOPS!  I forgot to mention the big event that started the problem:

I foolishly re-connected the ciggie lighter wire without fusing it.  A short time later, it shorted one day while driving and caused severe smoking and meltdown of dash wiring.  (Memory's getting a bit foggy these days, sorry guys!)  The engine stalled in the middle of rush hour traffic and I had to get a push to the side of the avenue (with the help of a couple of traffice cops).  After disconnecting the lighter wire I was fortunately able to re-start the motor and get home without any further incident.  However...

Gauges and lights stopped working correctly at that time, and the idiot lights stayed on even when I turned the key off.  I pulled the instrument cluster, found a mess of melted insulation and shorted wires, but was able to identify the bad wire and I corrected the problem by re-wiring and replacing insulation where it was needed.  Needless to say, everything, including the lighter circuit, is now fused correctly.  I verified that all lights turned off when the key is "OFF" and there is no drain on the battery when the car is sitting.  Gauges and lights now work as they should.

Perhaps I should just get a whole new wiring harness for the dash?  I've never attempted such a project before, it may be a while before I'll have the time to attempt it but in the interest of safety I'll take the time to do it.

Lesson learned...If it ain't fused, it shouldn't be connected.

Thanks again guys...Bill Hershkowitz 66 Monza Sport Sedan 110 PG A/C