<VV> Food for thought - New Generations

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Jan 9 14:11:36 EST 2014

I thought that Corvair folks might find this  interesting and provoking.
>From a source called "Sports Car Digest"
The Next Generation of Car Enthusiasts

By Bill Bounds
 (http://www.sportscardigest.com/wp-content/uploads/DSC_0175.jpg) I’m just
going to put it out there, as a younger person  this hobby/sport is
frustrating. The issue at hand is access. The internet is  great for contributing
knowledge to the equation, but it can’t compare to  standing by as a Ferrari
340 roars off into the distance. The former helps  reinforce passion, the
latter creates it. The problem is, with the classic car  market on a
rocket-propelled incline, the amount of times anyone can stand next  to something like
that is approaching zero. Even the mid and lower grade levels  of classics
are becoming hard to attain or encounter in normal life. Have you  priced
out a ’50s pickup lately?
I am personally sandwiched right in between GenX and GenY. As I like to put
 it; I have no interest in fighting the system, but the system sure seems
intent  on fighting me. I had the good fortune to have a racing enthusiast
for a father,  and a British-car-owning tinkerer for a grandfather. Every
blessing is a curse,  though, and the things I used to have access to are there
no longer, leaving  only the desire to forge my own memories, to create my
own stories with  automobiles.
Here are some contemporary models that I can talk about with a decent
amount  of depth through my own experiences. I would expect someone of my
generation  could keep up with the conversation. EC1, EF, EG, EK, EM1, DC2, DC5;
GC8, GD,  GE; NA, NB, NC; YJ, TJ, XJ; W10 (AW11), W20, W30; ST-165, ST-185;
AE86; R32-35.  I tossed the Jeeps in for fun.
To counter that, here are some models I can again talk about with depth
that  I would expect Sports Car Digest readership to identify with. Tipo 750,
101,  105, 115; Type 35, 35A, 35B, 37, 39; TdF, SWB, PF, GTE, GTO, LM; TR2-6;
XKC,  XKD, XKSS, XKE; 901, 911, 904, 906, 910, 917, 956/962. And on and on.
Both generations have the same alphabet soup. Both generations have the
same  passion. The gap between the first group and the second group seems
obvious to  me, it’s about access. I have friends that can tell the difference
between a D16  and B16 Honda motor blindfolded, but they couldn’t tell you the
difference  between a Type 35 and a T-26. An XK120, 140, and 150 are all
the same to them  just like a third, fourth, and fifth generation Honda Civic
would look the same  to others. I know the differences because I’m
passionate enough to seek them out  on both sides. I don’t think, however, that the
average contemporary “car guy”  has anywhere near the access necessary to
know that Bentleys, Voisins,  Delahayes, Abarths, and Lancias are worth
appreciating. Without access to cars  like that, I’m not sure it’s realistic to
expect them to.
As the subject of this hobby gets more and more expensive, cars will be
driven less and less. Not many Lusso owners will let that kid in the parking
lot  sit in the driver’s seat for a minute. A Gullwing won’t be seen
anywhere but a  concours. All Cisitalias will end up in warehouse collections where
only the  caretakers walk in and out. Such a climate does not create that
passionate spark  that draws people into the hobby. So if any Sports Car
Digest readers do have an  interest in broadening that horizon, I would ask one
thing. Drive your cars.  Drive them in public. When you see a kid smiling,
or someone smiling like a kid,  stop and talk to them. Silver Ghosts to MG TC
s to split-window coupes to  Ghiblis. Automobiles are inherently engaging,
so give yours the space and time  to engage others as they have engaged you.
I know I am grateful for those who  took the time with me, and I will pay
that forward as soon as I am able.
Creating my own stories with automobiles is exactly what I intend to tackle
 in this space. How does someone with a huge pile of enthusiasm and average
means  find ways to maximize his access? My answers include things like
habitually  attending the Amelia Island Concours, autocrossing, buying a Jeep,
working on  one of my grandfather’s cars, road tripping, LeMons/ChumpCar
racing, attending  The Mitty and the ARRC at Road Atlanta, rallycrossing, and
on and on.
If it burns dinosaurs, I think it’s awesome. From ’30s French grand
touring  cars and ’50s European sports cars to British Touring Cars and Baja
trucks, it  doesn’t matter. I like all of it.