<VV> Drop Lights history

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Jan 13 12:09:09 EST 2014

The term Drop Light is form waaay back in industrial settings. Same use as
drop cord. The electrical box was mounted on a ceiling, and a rubber cord
dropped from the box to the work area. These did not plug into receptacles,
but were permanent wiring.

These fixed length cords were later replaced with the reel mounted cords
for even better use to feed portable lamps or receptacles.

Some how the public adapted the terms to any portable light or receptacle,
even if not permanently mounted to the ceiling.

Now most people ask for an extension cord, but old timers still ask for a
drop cord. Most everyone still uses drop light as the term.

I would love to know what brand of Rough Service bulbs people have problems
with, because except for welding splatter, mine have lasted for years in
Collison Shop environments. We dropped them all the time. Mostly bought
Phillips and Feit form the wagon pedlers. Waaay cheaper than those at Home
Depot, etc.

Bulb failure was never an issue, but getting that steel cage to point away
from my eyes sure is. With a swivel hook, the cord determined the hanging
position, with a fixed hook, you can never find the best location to hang
it out of your eyes. Thermoplastic cord is the worst (SJT code), rubber is
actually nice.

Why keep an incandescent drop light? A 50 watt drop light hanging on my
sink plumbing keeps my garage plumbing from freezing. Try that with an LED
or fluorescent drop light! I do have some 100 watt Rough Service lamps
still for really cold weather. These are NOT for use on a car or anywhere
near your skin!

Frank DuVal

Original email: