<VV> Cracked Pistons

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Wed Jan 22 12:51:24 EST 2014

I'll chime in here. As Mike alluded to the number 5 piston being a problem.
All the dropped 140 valve seats I have seen were on No. 5. Also the area of
the No. 5 piston is where the tempering air for the heater is drawn from the
upper shroud aka Turkey Roaster. Almost every street Corvair I've seen has a
leaky hose here if it has one at all. I have seen this opening plugged with
everything from a factory cover plate to a piece of cardboard. Sometimes the
hose will appear to be intact as far as can be seen but somewhere between
the firewall thru which it passes and the heater valve box connection it is
compromised. In my street 67 vert I capped the nozzle on the heater blower
valve box and pop riveted an aluminum cover over the upper shroud opening
after removing the nozzle. Works for me.

Rick Norris
1st CORSA President, 1971
www.corvairalley.com
Hurricane WV