<VV> Water Injection

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 24 00:46:28 EST 2014

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 20:21:02 +0000 (UTC)
> From: ricebugg at comcast.net
> Subject: <VV> Water Injection
> To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
> Kevin: I don't know anything about your water injection system.  But may I suggest you install a water (and denatured alcohal) system which begins squitting before the turbo boost gets to the cylinders.  Well before the boast gets to the engine.  Your water line may be dry and it does take some time for the liquid to travel from where it is stored to where it is needed.
>
> Don't ask me how I know this.
>
> Historically Yours,
>                         James Rice

 James- Thanks! When I did that high boost test, I had previously set it up to be ping free up to 18psi with no water injection, and then when I hooked up the water injection system (Aquamist 1s) I set it up to come on at 10 psi, knowing there would be some sort of "lag" between when the pump came on and when the water would reach the engine. I put the largest water jet in, and then screwed up, deciding that since I had the water injection hooked up, I ought to swap out the 35mm secondary choke for the 38mm, figuring that I could up the boost at the same time- BAD BAD
mistake!! I never should have made 2 changes simultaneously like that, especially since the aquamist 1s is maxed out on water flow at 20psi boost,
and I didn't know exactly how much more boost I would be getting by upping the choke size by 3mm. The other big mistake was not mixing any
methanol with the water- I didn't have any. Oh well, at least I didn't blow the engine up! I did, as it turned out, ruin the differential (spun the front
pinion bearing, nearly shot it out of the case and totally demolished the positraction), and had to have the head gasket surfaces re-worked. I figured I got off pretty cheap for such a dumb mistake!
Kevin Nash
63 Turbo, soon to be a daily driver once again!!