<VV> Idle Help

Kenneth Schifftner scrubbr at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 2 12:47:53 EDT 2014

My '64 developed this symptom on the way from SD to Flagstaff.  Dave Palmer helped me fix it. In my case the float level was to high and the float bounce tempering spring was too loose.

When looking down into the car, engine off, fuel could be seen dripping...not much but some.  Other side...nothing. Upon idling when the atmospheric pressure is higher than at the carburetor, the fuel was sputtering into the carburetor Venturi. Dave adjusted the float level lower and Made sure that the float tempering spring was indeed supporting the float rather than just going along for the ride.  With the carb apart, air horn horizontal,and the float dangling, the spring should be trying to hold up the float...lightly.  Slight pressure of a finger upward at the bottom of the float should detect if the spring is indeed providing some upward pressure.

Car ran great after that....including through 110 deg F + heat in AZ.

Just a thought...

Ken Schifftner