<VV> Clay Wispell Memories

James P. Rice ricebugg at comcast.net
Tue Jul 8 12:31:01 EDT 2014

CORSA has lost one of the people whose contributions made it what it is
today.  Clay Wispell has departed this life as we know it.

When CORSA was founded in 1969, it was a very loose organization run by a
group of dedicated volunteers.  But the late 70's, less than 10 years later,
it had grown to such a size it was unmanageable by volunteers.  People were
coming and going, dropping like very overworked flies.  Because they were.
With some controversy, CORSA hired our first management firm and publication
editor.  It was also at about this time that the CORSA Board of Directors
realized collectively CORSA needed a lot more "how to documentation and
information" if it was to be truly organized and function well.

Fortunately the CORSA BoD had on it at this time of great need, a great
group of people who I call "engineering types."   They were both experienced
and comfortable with process and procedures in their professions.  They also
had vast experience with the needs and workings of large chapters.

It was a Herculean task.  They had to collect all the information and wisdom
from those who came before, think thru what needed to be created and
implemented, and then commit all this information to paper.  Last time I saw
the Process and Procedure manual, it was thicker than a ream of paper. It is
a monument to their work and dedication.

Clay Wispell was vital as one of those many who contributed beyond the call
of duty to hard work of creating the CORSA Process and Procedure manual.  He
also left his fingerprints all over many other CORSA documents plus the Tech
Manual.  He and others did what needed to be done, and we as CORSA members,
are the better for it.  As a group, they were indispensable.  We own them.

I do not remember if I ever know what Clay actually did professionally.
I've always had the impression he could tell me in great detail, but he
would then have to shoot me.  He had a great sense of humor and did not take
himself terribly seriously.  He was a person you knew you could trust upon
first meeting him.  Insightful and analytical, he could analysis someone's
controversial opinion to their face without hurting their self image.  Don't
ask me how I know this.  This ability to separate the message from the
messenger is unique in most circles.  And he was kind, gracious and merciful
to those who did not have this ability.  It was then and is now a vital
characteristic needed on CORSA's BoD.

I don't remember anyone not liking Clay.  I always had a delightful
conversation or two with him when we were at the same place at the same
time.  The world is a worse place with the loss of Clay Wispell.  My
condolences to his wife Carolyn and their family.  Our loss is nothing
compared to yours.

---