<VV> idle question 2

hallgrenn at aol.com hallgrenn at aol.com
Thu Jul 10 13:45:33 EDT 2014

I'm with those who say the jets shouldn't be the problem.  I had a car with perfectly balanced carbs that ran fine around town cold, but wouldn't accelerate on the road.  If ran better when cold when the chokes were on, but stumbled and WOULD NOT ACCELERATE except slowly with very light throttle when warm. I had solid streams in the carbs when the throttle was opened.  On the highway--once it had gathered speed--it ran fine, but sudden throttle increases would cause the engine to stumble and die until I let off the gas.

It turned out to be rust in the tank that clogged the pickup sock with fine rust particles (and gradually clogged the carb brass filters).   Everything from the tank back was fine.  The tank sock was so restricted that the fuel pump couldn't keep up with the demand and the carb float level dropped under demand.  I found out when I checked for solid streams from the accelerator after the engine had been running for about fifteen minutes--the first few times I opened the throttle I had solid streams, but after a few squirts the streams turned to small dribbles and dried up until I let the engine idle long enough for the fuel pump to fill the carb bowls again.

See how many times you can open the throttle with solid streams of gas present.  If they peter out after awhile then check for flow from the tank--and check the brass carb filters for a fine brown dust.

Bob Hall