<VV> Carl Sagan's Spyder

Ray Davis scout1977 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 11 11:06:14 EDT 2014

From: reply at mail-1.hemmings.com
To: scout1977 at hotmail.com
Subject: Hemmings Daily: Moke fans to celebrate trucklet's 50th anniversary; Harley Museum examines the road trip
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 09:07:59 -0400

		Trouble viewing this email? Click here

				Friday, July 11, 2014

Mini Moke fans to celebrate 50th anniversary of the British trucklet

Posted by Dave LaChance -

Mini Moke in Mauritius. Photo by Dave Chapman.

The British military's loss was the motoring public's gain. While Alec Issigonis, the designer of the Mini, thought that the British Motor Corporation might be able to take some business away from Land Rover by building a rugged, Mini-based, air-droppable utility vehicle for the British army, the army thought not. So instead, BMC decided to offer it to the public, and the resulting Mini Moke will now celebrate its 50th anniversary this year.

Only the Royal Navy show... Read On>>

		Hemmings Find of the Day - 1959 Chevrolet Impala

		Posted by Daniel Strohl -

You've seen this 1959 Chevrolet Impala four-door sedan for sale on Hemmings.com before. It might look a little cleaner than when it sold for $14,500 at the Lambrecht Chevrolet auction last year and got all sorts of media attention due to the fact that it has just 2.2 miles on the odometer, but it's the same car, as we see from the odometer shot and the loads of documentation with it. While it might have been detailed and mechanically refurbished, though, it remains unrestored, its blemishes a testament to its 50-plu...Read On>>

		"The American Road" exhibit examines the lure of the road trip

		Posted by Kurt Ernst -

Route 66 near Truxton, Arizona. Photo by Miguel Montesinos.

Sometimes a luxury, sometimes a necessity, traveling the American open road has inspired generations of writers, artists, filmmakers and adventure seekers. In homage to the road trip, Milwaukee, Wisconsin's Harley-Davidson Museum has opened a new exhibit entitled The American Road, which uses vintage vehicles, photos, film clips and period memorabilia to weave the story of this celebrated American ritual.

The idea of taking to the road by automobile or ...Read On>>

		How much car do you need to be happy?

		Posted by Thomas A. DeMauro -

Photos by the author.

"Check out the Maverick," I said as we got out of the rental car upon our arrival at the Ramada. Juxtaposed against a backdrop of the premium-priced automotive exotica that characterizes the Monterey auctions held each summer during the weeklong lead-up to the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, sat this Ford Maverick with a mild rat rod-ish patina - its paint, though shiny in places, was similar in color to red oxide primer, and it had burned through on the hood. The roof was painted white, not...Read On>>

		Cosmic provenance: the resurrection of Carl Sagan's Corvair Spyder

		Posted by Hemmings contributor -

Provenance (from the French provenir, "to come from"), is the chronology of the ownership, custody or location of a historical object. The term was originally used in relation to works of art, but is now used in similar senses in a wide range of fields, including archaeology, paleontology, archives, manuscripts, printed books, and science and computing. The primary purpose of tracing the provenance of an object is to provide evidence for its original production or discovery, by establishing, as far as practicabl...Read On>>

		Emeryville, California, 1971

		Posted by Daniel Strohl -

With permission from the Nick DeWolf photo archive, today we're running several of his photos, all taken in an unidentified junkyard in Emeryville, California, in 1971. What led DeWolf to the junkyard, we don't know, but there's carspotting aplenty here, with 'em stacked seven or eight tall. What do you see here, and what do you suppose caused the cars you see here to end up in the junkyard?

     ...Read On>>

						This Day in Automotive History

								7/11/1916:
								President Woodrow Wilson signs Federal Aid Road Act

			Upcoming Events

  				Cruisin' Critters Car, Truck, & Motorcycle Show

  				July 18, 2014 - Bryan, OH

  				Southeastern Gas and Petroleum Expo

  				July 18, 2014 - Maggie Valley, NC

  				34th Annual BBC Motorcycle Rally & Show

  				July 18, 2014 - Blue River, WI

  				2014 Knauz Cruise Night

  				July 18, 2014 - Lake Bluff, IL

  				Kansas City Swap meet at Kansas Speedway

  				July 18, 2014 - Kansas City, Kansas, KS

  				Summer Nights Classic Car Show Downtown Downers Grove

  				July 18, 2014 - Downers Grove, IL

  				Fords at jennerstown

  				July 18, 2014 - jennerstown, PA

  				Michigan Antique & Collectible Festivals 2014

  				July 19, 2014 - Midland, MI

  Featured ClassifiedsSponsored By:

			1964 Dodge Dart
			$25,000

			1970 Chevrolet Camaro
			$39,000

			1948 Crosley
			Auction

			1985 Lotus Esprit
			$25,500

			1936 Ford Fairlane
			$11,000

			1947 Ford
			$66,995

			1948 Airstream
			$42,500

			1986 Ford
			$9,000

			1940 Nash Lafayette
			$7,250

			1963 Corvette Fuel Injection Unit w/ Distributor
			$6,500

Featured in the Blog

		Mario Andretti in the cockpit, 1993

		Clearing the desk, grandly

	Follow Us:

	View Our Newsletter Archives >>

Week in Review

		Thursday, July 10, 2014

					Littlefield Collection sale to offer a menagerie of militaria
					Posted by Kurt Ernst -

The DUKW Amphibious Truck, or "Duck" as it's more commonly known. Photos courtesy Auctions America.

When the military vehicles from the Littlefield Collection cross the stage this weekend, the lot names will read more like a farm's accounting record than a quartermaster's inventory list. American wheeled vehicles set to go under the hammer in California include a Duck, a Greyhound, a MUTT, a Mule and even a (Gama) Goat, and all will be offered to buyers at no reserve.

In water, the DUKW was driven by propeller...Read On>>

					Hemmings Find of the Day - 1970 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
					Posted by Daniel Strohl -

We're glad the seller of this 1970 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 listed on Hemmings.com included photos of the engine bay and undercarriage. Without them, it would just look like another clean, striped, split-bumper Z, but with them, we can see that the restoration of the car really got down to the nitty gritty, to the point where it looks like a brand-new car top and bottom. Add in the desirable LT1/four-speed drivetrain, and this Z28 looks more than ready to get some miles under its tires. From the seller's description:

A...Read On>>

					Route 66 authors to help Hemmings celebrate National Collector Car Appreciation Day
					Posted by Terry McGean -

Photos courtesy Sal Santoro and Bob Walton.

It will surprise no one that Hemmings has fully embraced the concept of National Car Collector Appreciation Day since it was first recognized in 2010. For the years since its inception, we've held a cruise night on that date, deviating from our usual Thursday evening dates once per season to align with the event, which falls on the second Friday in July.

This year, the date is July 11 - this Friday - and Hemmings will again hold a gathering of gearheads to celebrate th...Read On>>

					Team owner Chip Ganassi to be honored at the Glen
					Posted by Jim Donnelly -

Photo courtesy International Motor Racing Research Center at Watkins Glen.

Among the trophies next to their tux-clad recipient in the photo above are the Borg-Warner Trophy, emblematic of victory and the Indianapolis 500; and the Harley Earl Trophy, another permanent award that recognizes Daytona 500 winners. The comparatively smaller cup salutes a triumph in NASCAR's Brickyard 400 at Indy. As a team owner, Chip Ganassi has won them all. As a result, he's being honored by the International Motor Racing Research Cen...Read On>>

					Lost Cars of the 1980s - Subaru Bi-drive Recreational All-terrain Transporter (BRAT)
					Posted by Kurt Ernst -

An early model Subaru BRAT. Image courtesy Alden Jewell.

According to chaos theory, there's no way of predicting the outcome one event will have on another. A butterfly flaps its wings in Barcelona, for example, and a new weather pattern forms that will bring rain to Chicago. Or the country of West Germany objects to low U.S. poultry prices and a utility vehicle that would define the Subaru brand for years is born. Introduced in 1977 for the 1978 model year, Subaru's Bi-drive Recreational All-terrain Transporter (o...Read On>>

					New Orleans, 1948
					Posted by Daniel Strohl -

A look at the modern-day street view of the corner of Girod and Tchoupitoulas streets in New Orleans, as seen in this December 1948 photo we came across on the Historic New Orleans Collection confirms that the Gulf service station on the far left of the image had use of the unwalled portion of the ground floor of the two-story building, which seems to us an unusual setup. Looks like the station saw decent enough business, though. What do you see here?...Read On>>

		Wednesday, July 9, 2014

					Body by Ionia: Woodies, wagons, and a concept car among Mitchell Car Museum liquidation sale
					Posted by Daniel Strohl -

Photos courtesy Sheridan Auctions.

When Bill Mitchell scoured the country in the early 1990s to collect examples of every car his father, Don, had a hand in, he had a sizable task ahead of him. After all, Don Mitchell was behind Ionia Manufacturing and Mitchell-Bentley and built numerous woodies, station wagons, concept cars and prototypes for Detroit's automakers from the 1930s through the 1960s. Bill accomplished his task, and now 20 years later his collection will head to auction.

William F. "Bill" Mitchell (...Read On>>

					Hemmings Find of the Day - the re-return of the Bugazzi
					Posted by Daniel Strohl -

Shortly after this George Barris-customized Bugazzi - itself a coachbuilt version of a 1972 Lincoln - sold at an RM auction in 2009 for $19,800, it then popped up for sale for $59,900. The last nearly five years have been relatively Bugazzi free, but now we see the 1972 Bugazzi for sale on Hemmings.com once again - apparently changed not in the least - and we have to wonder where our old friend has been, and how it's been doing. From the seller's description:

Conceived as an American car built to higher standards a...Read On>>

					GMP die-cast models staging a comeback
					Posted by Kurt Ernst -

Georgia Marketing and Promotions, known to scale model fans everywhere as GMP, stopped producing its highly detailed automobiles in 2011. Now, thanks to a new joint venture between Acme Diecast, GMP's parent, and fellow die-cast manufacturer Greenlight Collectibles, the GMP brand is poised to restart production in the coming months.

Much to the dismay of collectors, the GMP brand was forced in bankruptcy in April 2011, when funding for ongoing operations could no longer be secured through conventional channels (i...Read On>>

					From the Archives: Chevrolet Camaro Caribe concept
					Posted by Tom Comerro -

When the Camaro came out in 1967, some concepts were released at the same time to accompany the new model at the auto shows. The Waikiki Woodie concept and the Cherokee were the more popular versions, but often lost in the shuffle was the Caribe, which asks the question, show car or show truck? The Caribe was built on the Camaro platform and was used in 1968-1969 on the auto show circuit. Similar to Evel Knievel's Cadillac we featured a few weeks ago, the Caribe featured a built-in pickup bed with the addition of a ...Read On>>

					"What Stops Them" sings the praises of cable-controlled brakes
					Posted by Kurt Ernst -

A Chevrolet engineer tests brake system components. Still image from video.

Hydraulic brakes have been a staple of automotive design almost since their 1921 debut on the Duesenberg Model A, but that's not to say that all automakers were quick to embrace such cutting-edge technology. As this Jam Handy production shows, Chevrolet was singing the praises of cable-operated mechanical brakes as late as 1935, reassuring a skeptical public that swept area, not actuation type, was most important to braking effectiveness.

...Read On>>

					Los Angeles, 1961
					Posted by Daniel Strohl -

The captions for these four photos from the USC Digital Library detail where and when somebody named Wyman took the pictures: February 16, 1961, on the Pasadena Freeway (now the Arroyo Seco Freeway) just north of the 101, where the Pasadena becomes the Harbor Freeway. Presumably the "traffic safety feature" that the captions aren't so clear about is the raised arrows in the merging lanes that we're sure did wonders for anyone trying to keep a car steady while merging at 60. What do you see here?

...Read On>>

		Tuesday, July 8, 2014

					Four years after auctioning off collection, Chevrolet dealer Bob McDorman opens museum
					Posted by Daniel Strohl -

Photos courtesy Bob McDorman Automotive Museum.

After Chevrolet dealer and longtime Corvette collector Bob McDorman sold off 160 cars from his collection at auction four years ago, the idea of opening a museum almost seemed out of the question - what would he fill it with, after all? Yet this past weekend he threw open the doors of the Bob McDorman Automotive Museum to the public, and said he has as many cars as he can fit in it.

"I wanted to have it ready for my retirement from the dealership," McDorman said of...Read On>>

					Hemmings Find of the Day - 1964 Chrysler Newport
					Posted by Kurt Ernst -

A mid-1960s Chrysler sedan may not top every enthusiast's wish list, but any survivor car as presentable as this 1964 Chrysler Newport for sale on Hemmings.com is worth taking note of. Its current owner states that the 51,000-mile car has never been repainted and confirms that its interior is entirely original as well. As if this wasn't enough to pique a buyer's interest, the 265-hp, 361-cu.in. V-8 reportedly returns a respectable (by 1960s sedan standards, anyway) 17 miles per gallon, thanks to its thrifty two-barr...Read On>>

					Auburn auction to feature trifecta of Auburn, Cord and Duesenberg models
					Posted by Kurt Ernst -

1936 Duesenberg SJ Dual-Cowl Phaeton, with a body by LeGrande. Photos courtesy Auctions America.

Auburn, Indiana, was the home of Auburn Automobile, Cord Corporation and Duesenberg Automobile & Motors Company, so it's fitting that an upcoming auction in Auburn will feature examples of each of these Errett Lobban Cord-owned marques. In addition to the 1936 Duesenberg SJ dual-cowl phaeton and 1937 Cord 812 Supercharged Sportsman scheduled to cross the block, at least seven Auburn models, including a 1931 Auburn M...Read On>>

					De Lorean DMC-12 sells for $77,000, but is this really an auction record?
					Posted by Kurt Ernst -

The potentially record-setting 1981 De Lorean. Photos courtesy Coys of Kensington.

In March of this year, a 1981 De Lorean crossed the stage at Coys Spring Classic auction in London, England, selling for an undisclosed but record-setting price, at least according to the auction firm's press releases. Later, when the sale's full results were published, it was revealed that the De Lorean sold for 46,600 (then the equivalent of $77,449), which may or may not be a world record for a De Lorean sold at auction, dependi...Read On>>

					Recommended Reading - Bentley, Fifty Years of the Marque
					Posted by Richard Lentinello -

With its focus on one of the world's most prestigious automobile manufacturers, it's not surprising that this book about Bentley automobiles is now in its third edition. Enthusiasts the world over have always respected all that company founder W.O. Bentley had achieved, and long admired the cars that bore his name.

The most interesting aspect of author Johnnie Green's hardcover book is that it isn't just another historical review of an auto company's formation and about those individuals who managed it; rather, i...Read On>>

					Boston, 1940s
					Posted by Daniel Strohl -

Busy day for the car parkers in Boston. Unfortunately, we don't know which day or even which year photographer Leslie Jones took this shot of a crowded parking lot (courtesy the Boston Public Library), nor do we know exactly where, but we're guessing it wasn't just an ordinary workday in an ordinary part of town, judging from some of the swankier cars within the confines of the lot. What do you see here?...Read On>>

		Monday, July 7, 2014

					Drogo-bodied Ferrari 330 GT Navarro Special heads to auction
					Posted by Kurt Ernst -

1966 Ferrari 330 GT Navarro Special. Photo by Mike Maez, courtesy Gooding & Company.

Ferraris, by design, are exclusive automobiles, meant to appeal to (almost) all, yet remain beyond the reach of most enthusiast buyers. A great deal of thought has always gone into their styling, but even this exclusivity and refinement isn't enough for some. Italian nightclub owner Norbert Navarro wasn't pleased with the conservative styling of the 1966 Ferrari 330 GT 2+2, so he penned a design of his own and commissioned Carr...Read On>>

					Hemmings Find of the Day - 1983 Chevrolet S-10 Durango
					Posted by Daniel Strohl -

I have a theory about collector vehicles: Northerners and Rust Belters are the real vanguard of the hobby, driving what we consider collectible. And I don't just say that because we at Hemmings are among that group. Rather, we tend to appreciate vehicles like this unmodified and rust-free 1983 Chevrolet S-10 Durango for sale on Hemmings.com more than other parts of the country, simply because we don't see them plying our roads anymore (at least not without rust holes you can stick your head through), and absence mak...Read On>>

					Iconic Indy scoring pylon comes down
					Posted by Jim Donnelly -

Photos by Chris Owens, courtesy Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

In terms of being an immediately recognizable talisman of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the vertical black scoring pylon near the start-finish line could hold its own with the Pagoda and the Borg-Warner Trophy. Only now, the familiar frontstretch fixture has been removed.

Crews using a pair of heavy cranes unbolted the huge tower from its concrete base last week and swung it aside. The tower contains vertical electronic lights for the car number...Read On>>

					Ferguson all-wheel-drive Mustang visits the Saratoga Automobile Museum
					Posted by Kurt Ernst -

The Ferguson Formula Mustang at the Saratoga Automobile Museum. Photo courtesy Saratoga Automobile Museum.

In 1965, England's Ferguson Research aimed to improve the handling and traction of Ford's Mustang by constructing a series of Mustangs fitted with both full-time all-wheel drive and Dunlop anti-lock brakes. Decades ahead of their time, the cars built (two according to records, though some say three) were shown to police departments and consumers across Europe, but found no takers. In honor of the Mustang's 50t...Read On>>

					Vintage Peugeot owner plans Perth to Paris run
					Posted by Kurt Ernst -

A Peugeot 403 wagon (though not Mouritz's own). Photo by Ren.

Barry Mouritz has had a thing for Peugeots since his boyhood days, and his fond memories of the French automaker's wares prompted him to buy a 1960 Peugeot 403 wagon just to participate in a 50th anniversary circumnavigation of Australia in 2003. Since then, Mouritz has racked up an estimated 50,000 miles on his vintage Pug, but his next planned journey will likely put any previous rally adventures to shame. With a group of like-minded vintage Peugeot ...Read On>>

					K.R. Wilson Tools: Interview with collector Tim Hill
					Posted by Daniel Beaudry -

One of the many supply shops that carried Ford-approved K. R. Wilson tools. All images from the collection of Tim Hill.

Folks in the car hobby frequently end up collecting specialized tools to help them work on their vehicles - Pozidrive screwdrivers for MGBs, spring spreaders for Model A Fords, etc. - and sometimes we begin to appreciate the tools themselves for what they are, and when they're antiques, for all the fellow wrench turners who've put them to work in the past.

K.R. Wilson Tools are undoubtedly fami...Read On>>

	Hemmings Motor News will not sell or share your e-mail address with other companies. For more information about this newsletter, email webmaster at hemmings.com or write to: Customer Service, Hemmings Motor News, 222 Main St., Bennington VT 05201.  If you do not want to receive this newsletter from Hemmings Motor News please click here to change your email preferences.