<VV> 1969 Monza Corvair Across the USA (update)

Paul Miller plmiller7 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 20:16:29 EDT 2014

Well folks, you may recall my earlier post of driving from Potter County,
PA to Tacoma WA via I80- actually it should have been I90. We started last
Sat July 12 & have driven well north of 2000 miles since leaving.  We
traveled  through New York, crossed the Freedom Bridge into Ontario- across
to the Blue Water Bridge into MI.  All the way across to Ludington to take
the ferry- hint, in a classic car YOU can drive on/off the ferry AND you
are last on and first off- pretty nice & the journey across Lake Michigan
is amazing.  Next through WI, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho & I
now sit in Spokane WA. Highlights? Well, we saw the Badlands, Mt Rushmore,
about 6 Frank Lloyd Wright homes, crossed the mighty Mississippi- this
country is truly awe inspiring- and there are just too many things to see
to recount here.

The '69 Monza continues to purr along at speeds averaging somewhere about
65-69mph. Mileage is about 22-23mpg.  Used 1 quart of oil thus far. The
slowest part is the Rockies, where I was down to about 42mph climbing the
steepest grade. Did I mention the 1969's seats- well, there ARE seats but
our backsides are a little "saddle sore".  We did catch a break with a
polar vortex cooled the whole of the upper West- nice & cool run- in spite
of no a/c. I have received many nice compliments about the Corvair enroute.
Especially noteworthy was an entire bus load of folks from Greenville, PA
we parked next to in the Badlands who asked many questions about the little
red Monza.

Hope to see everyone at the convention- my Corvair has a sign in the back
qtr windows which reads- No Pwr Steering, No Pwr Brakes, No Cooling Water,
No Nader, NO PROBLEM!