<VV> EMPI Camber Compensator; Was: Early (1961 Monza) rear suspension improvement ?

wrsssatty at aol.com wrsssatty at aol.com
Sat Jul 19 12:21:25 EDT 2014

The manufacturer of the [in]famous camber compensator was EMPI.  That initially stood for European Motor Products, Inc. but that was changed to Engineering Motor Products, Inc. probably around the time when they began selling after market Corvair performance parts in addition to the ones they had been selling for VWs and Porsches.

Some people may tell you that GM tested the EMPI camber compensator on '60-'63 Corvairs and did not find it improved max. lateral acceleration but what is less known (and probably less publicized by GM) is that when they tested the EMPI camber compensator together with a front antisway bar, they then noted a statistically significant measurable improvement in handling.

I have one but it is not installed.  I keep it as a conversation piece.  See?  I'm conversing about it now!

<Back in the day there was a "camber compensator" that resembled an anti-sway
bar; it tied together the rear wheel hubs, limiting tuck-under during hard
cornering. At the urging of a buddy, I bought one for my '62 Monza coupe and he
installed it for me. It did improve handling, as I recall.

I can't remember the name of the company that sold it, but it used four capital
letters, like IMCO or something.>

~Bill Stanley