<VV> Handling & tire pressure.

James P. Rice ricebugg at comcast.net
Wed Jul 23 17:34:57 EDT 2014

Tim:  I don't have a mental list of all the Corvair cases.  Or a paper list
for that matter!

But I remember one of the cases involved a owner who had her EM serviced,
including tire rotation.  Chevy dealer service person did not adjust the
tire pressures.  IIRC, service department did back to front, front to
opposite side rear, that rear to front and that front to opposite side rear.
Talk about a evil handling car.  Drove it two weeks before she dropped right
side off road, and jerked it back on to road.  At which point car went crazy
off the opposite side, dug in and flipped.  She said she thought something
was wrong, but didn't take it back to dealer.

Lots of blame to share there.

I don't have White's book "The Assassination of the Corvair" any more, as I
sold it and a box of other Corvair material to a thirty something VV member
last year, so I cannot go and check what it says.

I also think all of us, if we haven't had the experience, should drive our
Corvairs, both EM's and LM's, with the tire pressures seriously out of
balance.  As a safety thing, you should know what it feels like.  It is
scary to say the least.  Do it in a parking lot, accelerate slowly and have
a plug in air pump to get the PSI back to normal after you soil yourself. Be
safe.

At the very first race in Oct/Nov of 1959 Corvairs were in, they had two
brands of tire available.  Don't remember which ones.  But one of them had a
serious wear problem when mounted on the rear, and would deflate w/o
warning, causing at least one Corvair to dig in mid-corner and flip. But
that was an atypical problem under high side loading.  Nobody here drives a
EM like that today...Correct?

And again, IIRC, the EMPI chamber compressor doesn't do what you think it
does. It and the '64 spring function differently. But, per the above, I
don't have the documentation anymore. I think White addressed the question.

Historically Yours,
              James Rice

Message: 1