<VV> Third try :-)

Grant Young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 23 21:13:21 EDT 2014

This is a watch out note - hopefully - for DIY's carb rebuilders. I have noticed many old and over-priced kits on ebay lately, and worse that someone is buying them. The major problem is that anything more than about a couple of years old is not going to have gaskets and pumps that are ready for ethanol fuels. I have seen some kits and parts from the 60's and 70's that are marketed as "NOS" and marked up accordingly, sometimes selling for up to $40 each. While I don't know how the leather pumps will hold up, I am sure that the gaskets are not coated like more modern ones and they have the old thin cardboard brown or green "gaskets". If you've ever taken a carb apart that used these gaskets you would never use them again. I have purchased a few lower priced kits just out of curiosity and found that most have the wrong generic fuel inlet seats that are either much too small (.060" - .074") or much too large (.101" - .110") that are for different 1BBL and earlier Rochester 2BBL carbs of the same era. You are wasting your time or asking for continuing problems if you use these. If you get an inlet assembly package numbered -523 (.101) or -512 (.110) you should not use them, but can use you old seat and the new needles.

That being said/warned, I have plenty of new, correct, and ethanol ready kits, complete with new pumps for only $15.85 each. I can also supply all individual kit parts and hard parts if you are doing a partial or damage or lose a part. Just drop me a note with how many you want. Same goes for YH kits at $22.95. If you want to upgrade to stainless steel fasteners at the same time, a complete set (18 pieces) is only $5 per carb. If you are doing some 140's I also have new and re-plated 1965 secondary rods and mounts and good used later spring style for sale. I can also send you some new jets (you should probably increase them by .001" if still stock).

Thanks for the space and opportunity, and best wishes to all you convention folks (I'm jealous, but driving from Florida was out of the question).
Grant Young, The Carbmeister