<VV> Electronic Ign. Question....

Tom Berg thesuperscribe at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 30 14:34:07 EDT 2014

I've got a Crane on my '64 Monza and it's worked very well. But, what's MSD?

--Tom in Ohio

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:35 AM, Bryan Blackwell via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:

On Jul 29, 2014, at 2:28 PM, Jeff Wilson via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:

> I'd like to go whole-hog and include a MSD box.
>
> I'm fluctuating between the Crane unit sold by Clarks and
> the Ignitor 1 (heard there's issues with 2).

Hi Jeff,

A Pertronix 1 is essentially a points replacement.  With a good coil, cap, and wires it's a good setup for a mostly stock engine.  If you get a rebuilt distributor to go with it the timing will be nice and stable and it won't wear out for a very, very long time since there's no side pressure on the shaft.

Hotter ignitions can be a good upgrade, but be aware that if the engine is stock, you won't really get any more spark.  But since you're asking, I'll assume you have a somewhat modified (or will be modified) Corvair.  The Crane 700 isn't just a points replacement, it's also a CD (capacitive discharge) unit.  The MSD performs a similar function, so you really want to do one or the other.  You can use a Pertronix to switch the MSD if you like, and there are other setups you could use as well to replace the points.

I have a couple pages on the subject, collected from various authors:

General notes - http://autoxer.skiblack.com/ignition.html
Ignition 101 by Ray Sedman - http://autoxer.skiblack.com/rayignition.html

--Bryan

Bryan Blackwell | Springfield, Va. | bryan at skiblack.com | http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
  Corvairs: '62 700 Wagon, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa
  '69 Road Runner, '99 Neon R/T, '00 Miata SE, '09 Ford F-150