<VV> Nomenclature for differentials

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 11:48:54 EDT 2014

The official engineers names for things and what we call them in the fierld
are often quite different.  Check out patent terminology, it can be
different yet.  I posted the following the other day but never saw it come
back to me.  I probably did something wrong.

The timing gears and flywheel are on the same end of the crankshaft.  That
part is actually the timing gear cover.  It just happens to have a big
mounting flange.  They could have made the timing gear cover flatter and put
the bell shape on the differential carrier.  Then we would all be calling
the differential carrier a bell housing.

By the way, I suspect that putting the big flanges where the differential
and engine bolt together far forward (towards the differential) maximized
the space available for the cooling system.

Jim Becker