<VV> Nomenclature for differentials

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 11:48:54 EDT 2014

The official engineers names for things and what we call them in the fierld 
are often quite different.  Check out patent terminology, it can be 
different yet.  I posted the following the other day but never saw it come 
back to me.  I probably did something wrong.

The timing gears and flywheel are on the same end of the crankshaft.  That 
part is actually the timing gear cover.  It just happens to have a big 
mounting flange.  They could have made the timing gear cover flatter and put 
the bell shape on the differential carrier.  Then we would all be calling 
the differential carrier a bell housing.

By the way, I suspect that putting the big flanges where the differential 
and engine bolt together far forward (towards the differential) maximized 
the space available for the cooling system.

Jim Becker

-----Original Message----- 
From: Clark Hartzel via VirtualVairs
Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2014 6:16 PM
To: Virtual Vairs
Subject:  Nomenclature for differentials

According to Chevrolet drawings I have, what the ring gear bolts to is the
case and case cover.  The big iron housing that bolts to the engine and
transmission is the carrier.  Remember the carrier caries the case!
Clark Hartzel, former CPF Curator and all around nit picker.

This message was sent by the VirtualVairs mailing list, all copyrights are 
the property
of the writer, please attribute properly. For help, 
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
This list sponsored by the Corvair Society of America, 
Post messages to: VirtualVairs at corvair.org
Change your options: http://www.vv.corvair.org/mailman/options/virtualvairs

More information about the VirtualVairs mailing list