<VV> crossmember question

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Jun 25 09:24:14 EDT 2014

On Jun 23, 2014, at 10:55 PM, Randy Hook via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:

> I have a question about crossmembers.  Front and rear.  I recently finished stripping a '61 parts car and saved both the front and rear crossmembers.
> I also have a '64 front and rear crossmember.  Now, my question is this:  Except for the tabs on the front al-frames for the sway bar, the mountings on the rear
> a-frames for the transverse leaf spring, and the different rear springs on the '64,  are the front and rear crossmembers otherwise the same between the two years?
> I want to use the best parts of both years to make 1 good '64 front, and 1 good '64 rear crossmember. Thoughts and opinions welcome.

The '61 front crossmember doesn't even have the dimples for the sway bar.  Anything can be done, but I would say it's much easier to start with one that at least has the dimples.

For the rear, the difference is between 3 and 4 speed crossmembers as far as I know, the 4 speed variety has the notch for transmission clearance.

--Bryan