<VV> Membership.

Paul Sergeant paulsgt at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 2 21:03:17 EST 2014

Interesting discussions here folks.
Thanks to Hank for giving me a heads-up that this was going on.  I read VV
somewhat occasionally.  For those of you who had a bad experience on the
CORSA BoD, I am sorry.  When I expressed interest in giving back to this
club (volunteering for the BOD) that has meant so much to me for many years
(Member since 1975) I was warned by several folks, previous BoD members,
that it would be a horrible job with endless fighting and strong
personalities.   The BoD is made up of 12 people from very different
locations, backgrounds, etc.  That's a great thing.  We need that diversity.
I will say that I've been on the BoD for coming up on 2-years now.  It has
been a good experience.  Virtually everyone I've come in contact with has
been respectful and interested in the future of CORSA.  Some quite
passionately I might add.  It is great to see that passion.     Some folks
(one or two) have even taken their valuable time to sit down and give me
their ideas on how to move this club forward.  I appreciate that too.  I
want you all to know that I don't have all the answers.  Nor does the
collective BoD.  This is a volunteer organization except for the company we
pay to manage our affairs.   People, CORSA members are busy with their
lives, work, local CORSA chapters, working on their cars, families, church,
government, etc...  I could go on and on.  CORSA has some outstanding
volunteers.  They run this group, they run the CORSA web site, they run the
conventions, etc, etc...  I cannot thank them and all the others who
volunteer for this organization enough.  One of the problems with 'getting
things done' is that most of the time new initiatives require manpower.  If
this were a business (it's not) we could justify hiring more help based on
expected revenue.  We don't have that luxury unless you all want to chip in
another $20, $50, $100 per year in dues for us to do that.  I'll admit, I
have concerns about CORSAs long-term viability.  We have to collectively add
value to the CORSA experience or we won't attract new members.  We (CORSA)
are not the 'keeper of the keys' of Corvair knowledge anymore.  It exists
within CORSA, thank God, but it is also available to virtually anyone
trolling the web.  We have to embrace that fact and move on.  I just read
past President Jasons post.  I don't think our club is unique in requiring
membership to attend our national convention.  Other car clubs are the same.
I don't think it's too much to ask for people to join if they want to
participate in the events.  Come on guys...annual  CORSA dues costs less
than a tank of gas in most of your daily driver vehicles.  If you are
interested in and/or passionate about this hobby than sign-up and pay your
dues.  If you don't like the way things are going, then you try to change
it.  If you don't like me as the leader, of your club, then vote me out.  I
am not perfect.  I've been around Corvairs since I was 7 or 8 years old.
I've owned one since before I could legally drive.  I'm 54 now.  If nothing
else, the Corvair has been one constant in my life.  I wouldn't dream of
abandoning the organization that supports it.

Thanks for listening.

Sincerely,

Paul Sergeant
Central Division Director / President – CORSA
65 Monza Convertible (110/PG)
66 Corsa Coupe (140/4 – 28,000 orig. miles)
61 Pontiac Tempest Safari Wagon

CORSA Since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, POCI, Little Indians.