<VV> Membership

ricebugg at comcast.net ricebugg at comcast.net
Tue Mar 4 12:30:02 EST 2014

Ken:  Interesting idea.  Were you (collectively) able to write this idea up as a motion for the CORSA BoD to consider, working out the cost and logistics of the idea?

I know there was a proposal presented to the BoD - or was suppost to be presented - before the MA. convention two years ago.  Maybe it was and that is when the BoD said it is a CORSA Convention, not a Corvair Convention.  Which I don't disagree with.  But is there something between building a secure wall around our convention and making completely free and completely open to the public?

Like wise, someone recently told of going to a car show and there being 5 Corvair owners who had never heard Of CORSA.  Could we create a process and procedure to get their names at the point of contact and/or hand out a "request for information" card to be forwarded to the home office?  Again, a proposal would have to be written up, cost and logistics worked out.

I'm going to volunteer Mike Hall, Jason Cessna and myself to work with Ken about this idea.  Like I need something else to do!

As far as getting chapter members to join, I think it is a lost cause. Spitting (or other body function) into the wind.  Beating a dead horse.  They are the "You cannot make me join CORSA" folks I refer in my Feb 2010 letter to the Communique.  Better to leave them alone.  They might get grumpy and bit you.  For non-CORSA and non-chapter members who say "I don't need a car club", they probably don't.  Yet.  I think I could build a argument they do, but not sure it is worth the bother.

Historically Yours,
                        James

Message: 3Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 08:29:36 -0500From: Kenneth Schifftner <scrubbr at ix.netcom.com>Subject: <VV> CONVENTION and MEMBERSHIPTo: "virtualvairs at corvair.org" virtualvairs at corvair.org

When working on a recent convention, various ideas were kicked around with the goal of boosting CORSA membership...and using the Convention as a lure.

One was to offer a one year introductory membership, say at $10.00, that includes the Convention. The "newbie" would be issued an identifying lanyard or tag that showed they were...well..a CORSA newbie. The person would be asked to write their name on the tag and the name of their local club...that way they'd be introduced to their "local" club...though they may be at a far away Convention. The lanyard or tag would clearly identify them so that CORSA members could extend some hospitality and perhaps convince the newbie to fully join....plus a convention attendee from the "local" club shown on the tag could introduce themselves and recruit as well.

Linked to this concept is to have events open to the public when the public can attend...and be enticed to join. To sustain and grow, we need to show our abilities not just to each other but to future members. Using the Convention as a magnet can be a powerful tool if properly used.

Ken SchifftnerCORSANJACESDCC