<VV> 64 weak acceleration

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Wed Mar 12 16:45:31 EDT 2014

Hey IV,
Here's what i'd do.  The saying You can fix it now, or fix it later applies.  I drive my Corvairs year round.  So, when I get a new driver, I want it to be trouble free from the start.  Also, you then have a firm foundation from where to start should you have any problems later.
Step 1.  Jack up the car. 2. Pull all the wheels and brake drums off.  This way you can look at the brakes.  If the car sat for a long time, overhauling the wheel cylinders is a good idea.  Also, replace the rubber brake lines.  They are now 50 years old.  When they go bad, they collapse on the inside and you won't know it except you won't have brakes at that wheel.  3. Since many jobs overlap, now is the time.  Repack front and rear wheel bearings.  Pull the gas tank.  Clean and inspect it thoroughly.  And maybe seal it and paint it.  You can also trace out the brake lines.  One goes behing the gas tank. 4.  Clean out the gas line that goes to the engine compartment.  Now is the time to replace all the rubber connections.  5. rebuild the carbs, making sure to check the insulator blocks and vacuum lines.  6.  Give it a tune-up.  New plugs, cap, and rotor.
It sounds like a lot, but if you do all this, your car will reward you with many thousands of trouble free miles.  Also, I highly recommend getting a copy of "The CORSA
'Tech ' guide.  "  It's worth every cent and will answer most if not all of your questions.  The sections on rebuilding your carbs and packing the rear wheel  bearings are super.  Hope this helps.

Randy (Cap'n) Hook
Hopewell, PA

60 700 4dr '64'-110/4spd
63 ragtop, 110/pg