<VV> 110 vs 140 Heads

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Mar 25 00:30:31 EDT 2014

I've worked on enough small valve Corvair heads with dropped seats that
I no longer consider them less prone than 140 heads.

Hot is hot, whether from running hard racing, climbing hills,
pre-heating (A/C condenser) or air flow restrictions.

I think the 140s suffered first because of the larger opening and
spirited driving. The same expansion rate would open the larger hole
larger than a smaller hole, and conversely shrink the large seat more
than a small seat (% of expansion vs thousandths of expansion). Since
the actual size of the interferrence fit is the same for both size
seats. But, this is just my opinion. Now, after so many heat cycles,
they all are suspect.

Frank DuVal