<VV> Old gas

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Mar 25 08:33:48 EDT 2014

After more than 50 years of associating with my best friend and junkyard owner I can say we have pulled countless cars out of old garages, fields, and wherever.  Longest parked was a 41 Ford Delivery that had been left for a documented 38 years.  Added a battery, primed the carb and away it went … exhaust smell was so bad it sent us running upwind :-)  If they are still holding gas they will probably run!

Gas is gas and it always burns … Ah well, mostly, anyway.  There was a short time in, the earliest days of the current kind of unleaded gas, that we noticed a very large number of cars were getting junked for seemingly no reason except that they would not start.  Quite by accident we came to realize that gas drained out of these cars looked like gas, smelled like gas, and tasted like gas :-( and cleaned up grease and oil just like gas … BUT … even when boiled by the flame of the propane cutting torch … would NOT burn.  Somehow, almost overnight, it had just plain gone bad.

Once that was realized, his supply of quality used cars went way up.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
65 Monza 110hp 4 speed 2 door
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.