<VV> Buick/Olds/Rover aluminum engines

Vairtec Corporation vairtec at comcast.net
Tue Mar 25 16:00:25 EDT 2014

On 3/25/2014 2:58 PM, Clark Hartzel wrote:
> Allan Bristow has a Rover engine mounted in the rear of his late Corvair
> convertible and it is a really neat setup.  The car looks totally stock
> until you open the deck lid.  I don't know if he built it or bought it that
> way but I really liked it.  300 cubic inches, all aluminum engine that
> weighs almost the same as a Corvair engine and fits like it was made for it.
> Now you can have all the power you want (4.9 liters) and have a real hot
> water heater if you don't like the smell of a Corvair heater.  What's not to
> like about it.  He drove it from Virginia to Michigan for the Woodward Ave.
> dream Cruise last year.

Allen bought it that way.  The car was built by Ray Coker in
Pennsylvania, a serial Corvair owner.  The car started out as a stock
Monza convertible in top condition; Ray had the engine built by D&D
Fabrications in Michigan, the best 215 guy in the country.  He used
reverse distributor drive gears sourced from me (no, I don't have any
more) and a 215-to-Corvair Powerglide bellhousing adapter sourced from
me (no, I don't have any more). These parts had been part of the
Ableson's Automotive stock back when Bill Ableson passed away.

As for the "looks totally stock" aspect, part of how Ray accomplished
this was by removing the stock gas tank and placing the radiator there.
No cutting of the body or trunk, no add-on air scoops or any of that
stuff that (in my opinion) detracts from the look of most V8
conversions.  A new fuel cell is in the trunk, atop the "shelf" in the
trunk, away from impact vulnerability.

The car is every bit as nice as Clark finds it to be.

--Bob