<VV> Car number 2- 1966 Monza

Gary Swiatowy gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Wed Mar 26 15:20:25 EDT 2014

This car is painted in the infamous "resale red" attracts a lot of attention
being a red car. That said, No matter what the seller has told you, it is a
sloppy job of paint. No attention to detail was done and I would check to
see if it was even an original "red" car. It is not hard to remove items
like door strikers instead of painting them. And there is too much overspray
everywhere, it does not take much to mask off instead of cleaning up later.

To me, if proved solid, $2500-$3000 unless all the missing parts are there.
And in good usable shape. But not much more.
$8 grand, no way.

But he says car is going to auction.
Last year a 68 Corvair 500, with a crease down the side was going for
auction in my area. I went and looked at it and given the poor condition
figured it was worth no more than $800. My son went to the auction, figuring
on a cool driver car. Car sold for $2800. The guy who bought it made the
purchase with the intention of "flipping it" and doubling his money. I was
one of the many local Corvair club members he contacted at cruise nights and
shows last year offering the car for sale. AS far as I know, no takers.

We had a club member pass away last year. A 68 Convertible was in the garage
that he had pumped a ton of money into, but was far from completing. Offered
to club members for $1500. No takers. The guy who bought it, again, not a
Corvair guy, figuring on making a killing. He pretty much chased down every
local Corvair guy he could find offering the car for sale for $6000 or so.
He hasn't even verified that the car runs yet, knows nothing about Corvairs.
And many of the parts needed for completion are not there.

At Auction, there is always speculators willing to spend twice what
something is worth. I see it all the time when people pay more for Harbor
Freight Jack stands than Harbor Freight Charges, and the same for Craftsman
tool boxes. I've been to too many auctions. But again, sometimes, there is a
deal! I bought my Greenbrier at a price I could afford, 10 years ago at
auction. I was bidding against a non-Corvair guy and at the time was close
to the money I could cover. The only other Corvair, guy at the auction, knew
how much I wanted it, and never made a bid against me.

If you really want a red on red Convertible. I have a 65 Monza I may be
selling this year. At one time it scored a solid Silver but close to gold in
Concours. Since then I have put no more than 2000 miles on it. Paint was
never perfect, it was done in my garage and has some flaws, and since
received a few scratches and chips. All chrome was either re-plated or NOS.
all anodized was re-plated. I would part with it for $14,000. Mechanically,
perfect, except for a leaking shift cable. All suspension, brakes, seals,
etc was re-done back in the 90's. and hardly driven. I have 4 other Corvairs
that I drive more often.
But, there is NO overspray anywhere, and all anodized parts were re-plated
and not painted over. Note, my car was originally white with a red interior,
but previous owner painted it red.

Gary Swiatowy

From: jwcorvair at aol.com
Subject: Re: <VV> Car number 2- 1966 Monza

This is definitely a project car, too many little pieces missing. If you
want it to look really nice it will take a lot of work, and not just
cleaning. $8k is too much. I think more in the $2500 range if it runs well
and the engine doesn't leak too much. Unless you want a project car, keep on
looking. Just my opinion.

Joe White